If this is a true medical emergency, call 9-1-1 and seek immediate medical attention.
If you think you are having an eye emergency, immediately seek the care of an eye care professional. At EyeCare for You, Dr. Kara is available for emergency eye exams any time - 24/7. We provide this service for current and new patients.
Call our office at 919-249-2020 for more information.
Eye emergencies such as retinal detachments, physical eye trauma, eye infections, and foreign bodies in the eye ( i.e wood, metal shavings) can cause visual impairment and permanent vision loss if not treated promptly.
Symptoms that require an emergency eye exam include:
- New onset flashes and/or floaters
- Loss of vision
- Double vision
- Red/painful eye(s) or eyelid(s)
- Abnormal drainage coming from the eye(s)
- Foreign material in the eye(s) such as branches, metal, or chemicals
While you are waiting to be seen:
- DO NOT press on an injured eye or rub the eye
- DO NOT attempt to remove foreign material with tweezers or cotton swabs, especially if it appears to be embedded on the eye
- If you believe you have a contact lens stuck in your eye, DO NOT attempt to take it out yourself. Their may not be a lens in your eye and you could cause more damage. That painful, scratchy feeling may be an abrasion our your eye and not a contact lens
Save Yourself an Expensive Visit to the Emergency Room or Urgent Care
At EyeCare for You, we have upfront prices on all our services, including emergency eye exams. A standard medical office visit is only $69 and includes up to two follow-up visits at no additional cost. Please note that for after-hours emergency exams there is an additional charge of $75. Before heading to the Emergency Room or the Urgent Care, call us for personalized care from an eye care professional.